We use more than 10 percent of our brains

The most troubling question that pops into my head when I hear this often-told lie is this: Why? Why do we only use 10 percent of our brains? What is the other 90 percent even for? After thinking for a bit (with more than 10 percent, I assure you), I come to the conclusion that this must be false. And it is.

Just think about it. If we used a mere 10 percent of our brains, our species wouldn’t have been clever enough to survive, let alone do some of the amazing things it does today. Hell, you wouldn’t have been able to read and understand this post with only 10 percent of your brain. Further, our bodies are extremely efficient machines – wasting a whole lot of energy running the entire brain just to obtain that 10 percent of brainpower does not seem like something that our body would allow to continue over millions of years of evolution. And what about the remaining 90 percent? What is its role? I highly doubt that the remaining 90 percent is content serving as a platform for the superior 10 percent to function. If the brain cells were human, the 90 percent would’ve overthrown the 10 percent long ago, and established their own social order.

Just as I thought (with my entire brain, note), this “fact” is clearly untrue. Several researchers and scientists have disproven the claim. In fact, one, Barry Beyerstein, went and disproved the myth in seven different ways. Yet, despite its obvious inaccuracy, many people continue to believe it. Or, even if they don’t truly believe it, they continue to use it for various purposes. The most common “use” of this “fact” that I have noticed is to encourage youngsters to “achieve their potential”. According to countless ignorant teachers and parents, several students with outstanding potential have been “wasted” simply because they didn’t take the opportunity to “go beyond” the regular 10 percent brain-usage, and ascend into some other realm of wisdom. When adults want something, they can clearly make up the strangest stories and excuses…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s